Buy the Rice Krispie Treats from the store (a housekeeping tip from mom)
tldr: Buy the Rice Krispie treats at the store. Unless you have special needs, store-bought treats require less money, effort, and clean-up.
Let's make some Rice Krispie Treats #
- Pot (stovetop) or mixing bowl (microwave)
- Wooden spoon
- Baking pan
- Plastic wrap
- Rice Krispies cereal (12oz): $5
- Mini marshmallows (10oz): $2
- Butter (4 tbsp): $0.65
- Vanilla extract (1/2 tsp): $0.15
- 20min to "bake"
- Wait, make that 30min while I got distracted on twitter and the goop congealed in the bowl and I had to microwave it again so I could transfer them to the pan
- 1 hour wait while treats cool in the fridge
- 20 min to wash the dish
- Wait, make 30 minutes because "let it soak .. wait, that's not how marshmallows work"
- 20 minute to cut up treats and plastic-wrap them individually
- wash water
- plastic wrap
Yield: 24 treats (I guess? I ate two rows already)
- who knows
- they never last more than a week or two
Okay, let's buy some rice krispie treats #
Tools: reusable grocery bag
- Box of individually wrapped treats (24): $12
- Whatever other snacks you get while you're at the store
- like 5 minutes the next time you get groceries
- but budget another 10 minutes to waffle over other snacks while you're at Safeway
- some foil wrappers you can shove in your pocket
- a recycleable cardstock box
Yield: 24 treats
- basically forever
- throw them in a backpack or a desk drawer and eat them a year later
- out of sight, out of mind
Which option brings a better return on investment? #
Life is short, industrial society has economies of scale. Unless you want a custom blend...
buy rice krispie treats from the store.